Ukulele Life

in architecture, people are always movingCreative Commons License craig Cloutier via Compfight

Ukulele Life

Her practiced bow
placed on the string
sings clear and bright.
Yet, you? No long-song
rings into the night.

In your ukulele life,
each plucked note
hovers thin and short.
Your music endures
in the blur of a hand.

– Steve Peterson

I wrote this poem in the comments section over at Mary Lee Hahn’s Poetrepository. I got to thinking about how some lives sing like violins and some plunk like a ukulele; both have their beauty, yet each requires such different technique.

Published by

Steve Peterson

I teach fifth grade in Iowa.

2 thoughts on “Ukulele Life”

1. Lovely to consider the music of one’s life. You are right — plucked or bowed, there is always beauty in the melodies.

And now, thinking of teaching, another metaphor would be attempting to orchestrate the life-music coming from 28 youngsters who are still learning to hear their own tunes (let alone, the tunes of others!).

1. ugh. So long to reply to your wonderful comment, Mary Lee. I love your metaphor of orchestrating the life-music of all those kids. And I totally agree that they are still learning to hear their own music (and often miss the music of others.) Whew. I am very tired now from just this kind of work, as I am sure you are, too. Looking forward to taking a break to write more. Do you have writing plans this summer?